Monday, May 12, 2014

The Patience of God is Amazing

Sometimes, God gives us challenges that we simply cannot get through without him.  It may be that he puts an especially challenging person, a health crisis, a financial hiccup, or even a personal struggle.  When I was younger, the priests at my church would often say that God does not give us more than we can handle-I think this needs to be adjusted just a bit.

God does not give us more than we can handle with him.   God is the reason we are able to handle anything.  With him, anyone of us can get through absolutely anything.  Without God, even daily struggles can overwhelm us.

I have been struggling with some very personal struggles.  I have been feeling let down and disappointed by loved ones-as a result, I have started to feel that I maybe unlovable.  Then I remembered that God never gives us what we cannot handle with him.  I remembered how the Bible tells us to lay our burdens on him (Matt 11:28).  It can be hard to do that.

We all have some need to feel control; some of us more than others.  We want to feel like we are able to  control our reactions, our outcomes, our future.  I may be the worst person with this.  I have such a tight grip on my worries, I guard my heart like a dog guards a bone, and I am slow to let go and hand it over to Christ.  I don't easily trust others-a condition brought on by past hurts and my inability to let go.

We all have this need.  I have seen those who must have their morning routines the exact same every single day, or the entire day they feel off.  I have seen, even the most laid back person, insist on getting their way just because.  Sometimes, we don't even realize it when we are holding on to control.

For me, my struggle came to a head this past weekend.  As I was thinking of how things were not how I wanted, how I would structure them, I realized that things were not right, because I was trying to take control.  Prayer was the answer.  The truth is, the people, whom I felt were not "loving me as I need to be",  they were doing the best they could.  They are people with their own struggles and limitations, and needs.

The truth was, as I prayed for God to open their eyes and help them see how they hurt me (yep, I was that vain in my prayers), God opened my eyes.  He softened my heart as he spoke to me.  "Child", he said to me, "I have given you a wonderful life, and have blessed you richly.  I have done this, not because you have earned it, but because I love you as you need to be loved.  I know what you need, even before you do and I am here for you".

For most, that would have been enough, but not for me!  I am stubborn, I still wanted others to see their faults.  Patiently, God kept prodding me, gently convicting me and softening my heart.  Even as I slept, I was convicted.  Finally, I got it- my struggle is related to my own stubbornness to hold on, to try and control everything.  When I let go, I felt the weight lift off of my shoulders.

We must remember that God loves us more than we can even love ourselves.  He is in control and he sees the bigger picture, he always gives us what we need.  If we let him, he gives us more than we could ever dream for.  Deuteronomy 28:2 states "All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God".  Truth rings from this statement.

When we are obedient to God, when we listen to his teachings, his prodding's, his guidance, we are richly blessed.  When we do as God leads us, he takes us to great places and uses us to accomplish great things.  We all have dreams, but Gods dreams are brighter, bigger and more than we can ever imagine!

The most amazing thing is his patience with us.  I am not the only person who is stubborn and thick headed-all of us are.  The man who completely trusts and follows Gods lead is a rare man indeed.  Even David, a man after Gods own heart, struggled to hold on to control.  He struggled to trust God completely and had to be convicted.  God is patient with us, he continues to reach out to us and meet us where we are.  I am amazed by this-often.

No comments:

Post a Comment